Black bean burgers - Ultimate veggie burger

I have tried many times to make black bean or veggie burgers. Each time they are okay but seem to fall apart. Thus the burger waffle idea. I came across "The Ultimate Veggie Burger" recipe in the October 2010 Parents Magazine. I thought I'd give it a try. I was happily surprised that this recipe was the winner! I tore it out of the magazine so I could have it in my cookbook and wrote "* Winner!" on the top.

I don't know what made the recipe work so well to maintain their shape. Was it the ingredients, the method of letting the mixture rest once mixed, or refrigerating after being shaped? I'm not sure but they are definitely a winner at my house, plus very tasty too!

The other winner about this recipe is that there aren't a lot of uncommon ingredients. Everything in the recipe is usually what most people have in their pantry or food storage.

I doubled the recipe one time and put the second batch in the freezer with wax paper and aluminum foil. We cooked them with the George Foreman grill and had quick burgers that were healthy and tasty! 

The Ultimate Veggie Burger

Ingredients
2 cups (one 14oz can) black beans, red beans, or chickpeas, drained (reserve this liquid if needed)
1 medium onion, quartered
1/2 cup rolled oats (or more, I ended up adding a lot more)
1 T chili powder
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 egg
Bean-cooking liquid, stock, or water as needed
1 T olive oil or any cooking oil

How to Make:
Step 1. Place the beans, onion, oats, chili powder, salt, pepper, and egg in a food processor and pulse until chunky but not pureed; if it seem sdry or isn't sticking together, add a little liquid a tablespoon at a time--you want a moist but not wet mixture. Let rest in the fridge for a few minutes if time allows.
Step 2. With wet hands, shape into patties; refrigerate for 15-20 minutes if your schedule permits.
Step 3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add the patties and cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes; turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned, about another 5 minutes. Serve on buns with the usual burger fixings.

*Can be gluten free if you purchase certain kinds of oats.

No comments:

Post a Comment